Wednesday 18 February 2015

Tennis and Cannon Balls Falling Stairs





Critical Evaluation

This is the Tennis and Cannon Ball Falling Stairs project. I created this animation using Autodesk Maya.

Initially, the most important principle was the slow in and slow out. I watched some videos and used them as a reference for the tennis ball animation and observed that the ball makes a quick bounce. In order to achieve this, I used the Graph Editor and manipulated the splines by making them flat on the top and linear as the ball makes contact with the stairs and leaves it. As for the timing, I believe that 8 frames are appropriate for the first falls, but the ones in the end where shorter as the ball loses its momentum. Additionally, I created Motion Trail because I wanted to change the modify the movement interactively inside the viewport. This command also enabled me to edit the curvature of the bounces. Furthermore, I created ghosting in order to watch the spacing over time and have an instant feedback as I edit the ease in the Graph Editor.
Secondly, I animated the cannon ball. For both projects, I realised the difference between the motion of each ball (Webster C. 2005, Animation: The Mechanics of Motion, Chapter 1 Basic Principles, p. 34). The cannon ball would not bounce very high, due to its mass, that is the reason that i used the Graph Editor curves and Motion Trail to achieve the ease in and ease out, also the curvature of the motion. However, I did not know how to make the ball rotate and move at the same time to move the steps down, thus, I continued the bouncing.

In my opinion, this exercise was very efficient, because I worked with the ghosting but also with the motion trail, and I focused on the spacing even more.

References:

Webster C. (2005) Animation: The Mechanics of Motion. Elsevier/ Focal Press

Tennis Ball Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKJegbjS4N8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_vLHoNTw4

No comments:

Post a Comment